Saturday, September 1, 2012

Don't Forget to Laugh and Play

Hello, friends!  After a very busy week, I was able to squeak in a little time to make one card.  I had to play along at CASology after such a busy week...the theme this week is RELAX!



I am also entering this in the current Simon Says Stamp! "Anything Goes" Challenge ... they are featuring Hero Arts stamps this week!





Finally, I am entering this in the new contest at A Blog Named Hero to use any kind of embossing (in my case, I dry embossed the background).




I embossed the card base using a Cuttlebug Seeing Spots folder, then popped up one of the I Care Frame Messages from Hero Arts.  I paper-pieced the sun on gingham yellow paper and added white pen and black enamel dots in the eyes for a little extra touch. 
I think this sentiment is all about relaxing!



(This next bit is not card-related, feel free to skip if you aren't interested!)

So, why so busy this week?  My DH was off and we enjoyed some family time before school starts up next week.  We went out to dinner.  We went to the beach for a day and an evening at the boardwalk.  We finished painting the girls' bedroom (one wall "Iced Purple" and the rest "Cottage White," then I stenciled a multi-colored circle pattern around all four walls to tie it together...the "Grape Soda" rug is in, too!  After much drama, tears, individual counseling, and compromising, it is DONE!  Thank God!)

On Wednesday, we went for a day trip to New York to visit Ellis Island, Liberty Island and the Statue of Liberty. 

Ellis Island, the very building where many of our family ancestors arrived from countries including Italy, Germany and Ireland.  How amazing to stand on the same floors and walk the same "Stairs of Separation" and sit on the same benches as our very own immigrant ancestors.  Amazing.


Lady Liberty...so majestic on such a beautiful, sunny day. Unfortunately it is under construction so we couldn't go inside it this time. 


Here is the view of the New York cityscape (remind you of any Hero Arts stamps?).  It was a difficult site to see for me, since the last time I saw it in person there stood the twin towers of the World Trade Center in the middle of it all.  The new 1 World Trade Center currently being constructed is already the tallest building in New York (see THIS article for more information about the new tower).  Can you pick it out in the picture?  It is the tallest building on the left.  That does inspire renewed hope.    


Here are my sweeties in front of the Statue of Liberty. 
We really enjoyed our day trip as we wind up a wonderful summer together. 


Before we left, my youngest son also asked to strike a particular pose but I didn't understand why...then my DH explained the reference.  Ha!


Sorry for the "extras," I just enjoyed our day so much I wanted to share it with you. 

Now we need to shift gears are get ready for the start of school (and my return to work) next week.  But we should all remember: don't forget to laugh and play sometimes, too!

Thanks for stopping by!
Judy

13 comments:

  1. What a great image for a relax card - love the gingham look of the sun! Thanks for playing along with CASology this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That little gingham sun is adorable and the fun polka dots go perfectly with the sentiment. Thanks for playing along with CASology this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your card Judy! The gingham sun and the embossed dots=yum!!
    Sounds and looks like a fabulous day in NYC! I'd love to get there some day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post, Judy - it's so full of fun and smiles! Your card is the cutest - just love it! And thanks for sharing the photos of your wonderful family day! Good luck with the "shifting of gears" this coming week! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your card, Judy. That paper pieced sun is fabulous and I love how you've framed it. Love the pictures of your visit to New York. I hope to get there some day. Ann Y.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Judy! Love your little gingham sun--such a cheery card! Thanks for sharing your Ellis Island trip photos. I love the cityscape shot. Very Hero Arts! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. fabulous card, judy!! love that dotted background and that smiley sun!! thanks so much for joining us each at CASology!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arg! I typed the best comment and blogger went kaput on me!

    I'll try again...ehem...

    I love the big polka dots and the extras you used on the focal image. It does make me smile :)

    Your day trip sounds great, I've never been to NYC but if I ever go, I'd have to go visit Ellis Island too, so much history!

    And how does your DS know about that pose? Smarty kiddos = smarty parents :)

    Thanks for playing with us at A Blog Named Hero!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute card Judy!! :) Good luck with all those challenges! And it sure sounds like you've been going...and going...and going...lol Though, it all sounds like fun stuff and what a cool day trip to take! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Judy! First of all, your card is just so cute - I love those big embossed dots and the cute gingham sun!!

    Thanks so much for sharing the photos of your family in NY!!! What a wonderful day for all of you to remember! And, your little guy is just too cute with that pose.

    Hope your Labor Day is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I loved the "extras" of your post Judy! What a fun few days you and your family had! Going back to school will feel like a vacation for all of you after the beach, boardwalk, NY, sightseeing etc! I like your card alot. Your really do CAS very, very well.....a style that I struggle with considerably. I love the "lighter than air" feel of this sunny little card.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great card, I love the clean and simple look!

    Thank you so much for joining us at A Blog Named Hero!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment...I do appreciate it!
Judy